Thursday, April 10, 2014

Life and Taxes in Mad Men Days

Mad Men starts its last season Sunday. Heralding the event is a poster by a real Mad Man, Milton Glaser, still active at 84.

Times Machine, the new, improved portal to New York Times archives going all the way back to the 1800's, offers subscribers an easy way to relive Mad Men days. I'm struck by how the ads tell you as much about the era as the articles.

Here, for instance, is an offbeat Volkswagen ad from tax time, 1969.


 The Consumer Price Index had increased by less than 2% a year from 1958 through 1965, so the 4% rise in 1968 was cause for alarm. These days, believers in growth through inflation might welcome it.

1 comment:

Jim Gust said...

When I was a teen, I went to the Minneapolis central library to look up on microfilm the local newspaper on the day of my birth. I was most struck by how the ads had changed in just 15 years. I don't recall that anything else of consequence happened on July 23, 1952.