Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The End of Cold Calling

Few business people answer phone calls until they’ve been robotically screened, and personal phone conversations have fallen out of fashion. Small wonder, then, that BofA’s Merrill announced its brokers-in-training will no longer be required to make cold calls.  (Attempt to make, that is – fewer than 2 percent of people who are cold called even answer the phone.)

Merrill instead will encourage young advisers to go prospecting on LinkedIn. Brace yourselves, LinkedIn members!

Full disclosure: The other day your obedient blogger actually did receive a cold call, not from a wirehouse but, surprisingly, from Fisher Investments.

2 comments:

Jim Gust said...

I have had several calls from Fisher Investments, but they were not truly "cold" calls. I often download Ken Fisher's columns, predictions, or "retirement mistakes." The calls are followups.

Did you tell the caller that you once hired Fisher to free lance a column for us? I always mention that.

JLM said...

I might have downloaded a Fisher column or two in Forbes long ago, but I've never asked for Fisher Investments marketing materials, so my call presumably was cold.