Thursday, July 20, 2006

Adrift in the becalmed sargasso of marketing-speak

If you would enjoy an excellent and free lesson in new media marketing, keep reading.

I am a former science fiction afficionado. I say "former" because for many years I didn't find anything new that seemed worth my time. Recently I gave the books of John Scalzi a try, based upon the endorsement of the Instapundit, Glenn Reynolds. It ain't Robert Heinlein or Isaac Asimov (notwithstanding the blurbs on the books), but I have read every Scalzi tome in our local library now, and enjoyed them thoroughly.

Mr. Scalzi has a blog, and in this recent post--How (And How Not) To Market To Me When I'm in Blogger Mode--he takes apart two recent e-mail offers to help him commercialize his blog (something he has no intention of doing). This is an excellent exercise for you marketers--you can analyze the emails yourself, then compare your conclusions with his (some of which are a tad, um, ribald). The title of this post comes from Scalzi's literate and on-target criticism.

Hat tip: Instapundit

No comments: